Saturday, November 14, 2009

Grandma Burke's Cornbread

There is nothing like a hot, crispy piece of cornbread slathered in fresh butter. My Grandma Burke was an amazing women who was born & raised in the Bluegrass State of Kentucky. I have fond memories my Grandma, especially when she would come stay with us. One of the most amazing things was her cooking. And since she had 13 children I think she qualifies as an expert! She did not have recipes written down as they were all in her head. My mom would bring a chair into the kitchen for my Grandma to sit while my mom cooked. My mom would say to her "Mommy, tell me how to make cornbread or fry chicken or dumplings..." or whatever it was that day. My Grandma would rattle off ingredients, measurements & instructions like she was reading from a cookbook. I loved those times of seeing my mom & her mom cooking together. Now history is repeated when me, my sister & my mom cook together.

Ingredients (measurements are all approximate)
3-4 tbsp bacon grease
1 1/2 c cornmeal mix (I like the buttermilk flavor)
1 c flour
Buttermilk (Use a 1 quart carton, but you won't need all of it)

Directions
Place bacon grease in a 9 inch round pan or cast iron skillet. Place in a 500 degree oven. Mix cornmeal mix, flour & enough buttermilk to make a thick batter (not too thin, not too thick). Once your bacon grease is really hot, pour mixture into pan. Bake until crispy brown. Enjoy hot with fresh butter!

No comments: